Ordering, Delivery & Returns
I want to order online
Once you’ve found the book you’d like to order click 'Add to Basket'. You can repeat this with as many products as you want. Then to complete your order and pay securely, just click on 'View Basket' which can be found at the top right of the page and follow the instructions to enter your delivery address and pay for your order.
You can see what's in your shopping basket at any point by clicking on 'View Basket' in the top right of any page. Don’t worry, you can also add more products to your basket by clicking on “Continue Shopping”.
Once you add something to your basket, a little red circle will appear with the number of products currently in your basket.
Sadly we don't offer the 14 day free trial for orders placed on our website. Instead we ask you to pay before we post the books by either credit or debit card or via PayPal.
If you'd like to order your books on the 14 day free trial period, please call us on 01229 777606 and place your order with either Jade, Emma or Alicia (or one of the others if the lines are busy).
I don't want to order online
If you'd rather not order online, you can call 01229 777606 to order over the phone.
Or you can put your order in writing and send it to: The Helpful Book Company, 13B Devonshire Road Estate, Millom, Cumbria, LA18 4JS.
Our full contact details and opening times can be found here.
We accept all major credit and debit cards on our website or by phone.
We also accept cheques, which should be pound sterling and made payable to “The Helpful Book Company”
We’re unable to accept cash.
If you’re unsure about which payment method to use please give us a call on 01229 777606.
During the current situation we are finding that some of our orders are taking a day or two longer to make their way through the Royal Mail system. This varies depending on how short staffed the Royal Mail are in your area and in the sorting centres it passes through on its way to your door.
Please allow 7 working days from the date you placed your order before calling us for an update.
Here at Helpful Books HQ we have fewer staff than usual in our warehouse picking and packing your order to make sure everyone is safe.
As of the 15/04/2020 we have reduced our posting days to Monday, Wednesday and Friday to make sure that we can stick to the strict social distancing rules. If you order before 1pm on any of these days, we'll aim to get your order out that day. We use second class Royal Mail delivery, so you can expect to get your books round-about 3 or 4 working days after you place your order but please allow up to 7 working days before contacting us.
If you place your order after 1pm on a Friday your order will be posted the following Monday (unless it's a bank holiday - in which case it will leave us on Tuesday)
We don't offer recorded delivery as standard but it is available. If you'd prefer your order to be signed for upon delivery please give us a call on 01229 777606 and we'll be more than happy to help. Please bear in mind that the Royal Mail won't ask for your signature over the coming weeks, they will sign for the parcel on your behalf, either using your name or the phrase "COV19".
There is a £2.99 postage and packing charge per order, no matter how many products you order.
We have changed our 14 day trial period and returns period during the coronavirus pandemic - please read more here
If you aren't happy with the books and want to return them, here's how:
- Check your order is in the same condition as it arrived (no scribbles, stickers, tea stains, drawings of King Kong climbing the Empire State Building on the front cover etc...) We may not accept returns that have been damaged whilst in your hands.
- Re-pack the books or videos in the original packaging or in a secure package. Make sure you’ve included all the relevant bits – if for example you ordered several books.
- Make sure you include your name and address in the package so we know who it's from. The simplest way is to include the payment slip on the other side of this sheet of paper.
- It’s also helpful if you could jot down a note saying why you are returning them. It's not so we can quibble – it can be helpful to us to know what you're not happy with about them in case it helps us improve in the future!
- Cover over your address label on the package with our address: The Helpful Book Company, 13B Devonshire Road Estate, Millom, Cumbria, LA18 4JS
- Post the package at your local Post Office counter. 2nd class postage is fine to use, but best ask for proof of postage, just in case it gets lost on the way.
- If you like, you can let us know by email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) that you’ve returned your order, but you don’t have to.
- When we get the package back, we’ll send you a letter to let you know it arrived safely. If you’ve already paid, we’ll also refund your payment by the same way you paid (ie we’ll send you a cheque if you paid by cheque or refund your card payment if you paid by card). If you haven’t paid yet, we’ll make a note so we know you don’t owe us anything.
Thanks for having given the books a try – it’s a shame they weren’t quite what you were after this time but we hope it hasn’t put you off us in case any of our other books look interesting to you!
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us.
We can post books outside of the UK but a few extra terms apply:
Sadly we don't offer the 14 day free trial on orders outside of the UK. So we ask you to pay before we ship the books by either credit or debit card or PayPal.
- Instead of the £2.99 postage and packing charge, the amount of postage you pay will be worked out based on the weight of the order and your location. If you place your order online this will be done for you during checkout. Or if you prefer to place your order over the phone we will be able to tell you the postage cost once we have taken your order.
What to do if an order doesn't arrive
Firstly - please bear in mind our new reduced posting days and that Royal Mail sorting centres and delivery offices are short staffed all over the country. Please allow a full 7 working days before contacting us about an order that hasn't arrived. Call us on 01229 777606.