Ordering, Delivery & Returns
I want to order online
I don't want to order online
Or you can put your order in writing and send it to: The Helpful Book Company, 13B Devonshire Road Estate, Millom, Cumbria, LA18 4JS.
We accept all major credit and debit cards on our website or by phone.
We also accept cheques, which should be pound sterling and made payable to “The Helpful Book Company”
We’re unable to accept cash.
If you’re unsure about which payment method to use please give us a call on 01229 777606.
If you place your order before 2pm Monday to Friday, we'll aim to get your order out the same day. We use 2nd Class Royal Mail delivery, so you can expect to get your books in 3 to 4 working days after you place your order but please allow at least 7 working days from the date you placed your order before calling us for an update.
If you place your order after 2pm on a Friday your order will be posted the following Monday (unless it's a bank holiday - in which case it will leave us on Tuesday)
Android Tablet orders
If you have ordered an Android Tablet, your order will be sent on a Royal Mail 48 service. Please allow 1-2 working days for it to arrive.
Products on Pre-Order
If your order contains any products which are on pre-order, then your order will be despatched once those items are in stock. Please call us on 01229 777606 if you have any concerns about pre-ordered items, or email email@example.com.
There is a 2nd Class £2.99 postage and packing charge per order, no matter how many products you order.
We don't offer recorded delivery or 1st Class delivery as standard but it is available. If you'd prefer your order to be signed for upon delivery please give us a call on 01229 777606 and we'll be more than happy to help.
If you'd like your order to be sent 1st Class as opposed to 2nd Class please give us a call and we'll do our very best to help.
If you aren't happy with the books and want to return them, here's how:
- Check your order is in the same condition as it arrived (no scribbles, stickers, tea stains, drawings of King Kong climbing the Empire State Building on the front cover etc...) We may not accept returns that have been damaged whilst in your hands.
- Re-pack the books in the original packaging or in a secure package. Make sure you’ve included all the relevant bits – if for example you ordered several books.
- Make sure you include your name and address in the package so we know who it's from. The simplest way is to include the payment slip on the other side of this sheet of paper.
- It’s also helpful if you could jot down a note saying why you are returning them. It's not so we can quibble – it can be helpful to us to know what you're not happy with about them in case it helps us improve in the future!
- Cover over your address label on the package with our address: The Helpful Book Company,
13B Devonshire Road Estate,
- Post the package at your local Post Office counter. 2nd class postage is fine to use, but best ask for proof of postage, just in case it gets lost on the way.
- If you like, you can let us know by email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) that you’ve returned your order, but you don’t have to.
- When we get the package back, we’ll send you a letter to let you know it arrived safely. If you’ve already paid, we’ll also refund your payment by the same way you paid (ie we’ll send you a cheque if you paid by cheque or refund your card payment if you paid by card). If you haven’t paid yet, we’ll make a note so we know you don’t owe us anything.
Thanks for having given the books a try – it’s a shame they weren’t quite what you were after this time but we hope it hasn’t put you off us in case any of our other books look interesting to you!
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us.
How do I return my tablet?
We offer a 60 day returns period, starting from the day you receive your order If you aren’t happy with your order in that time and want to return it, here’s how:
- Check your order is within the 60 day returns period and is in the same condition as it arrived (no scribbles, stickers, tea stains on the book - all of the bits and pieces that arrived with your tablet should be packed safely back in its box).
- We may not accept returns outside of the 60 day period or ones that have been damaged whilst in your hands.
- If you have set one up you must remove your Google account from the tablet (sadly a factory reset will not do this for us).
All this does is removes the account form our tablet, don’t worry – it doesn’t delete the Google account completely. Here’s how:
- Open the Settings app (by tapping the cog icon on the home screen)
- Tap on "Accounts"
- Tap on your Google account in the list
- Tap "Remove account"
- Two boxes will pop up to check that you really do want to go ahead and remove the account - on the first one tap "Remove account" again, then tap on "OK"
- Re-pack the order in the original packaging or in a secure package. Ensuring it won’t be damaged on the way back to us.
- Make sure you include your name and address in the package so we know who it’s from.
- It’s also helpful if you could jot down a note saying why you are returning your order. It’s not so we can quibble – it can be helpful to us to know what you’re not happy with, in case it helps us improve in the future!
- Return postage on tablets is free - to request your returns label please give us a call on 01229 777606 or email email@example.com so that we can verify your return and send you a returns label. Cover over your address label on the package with our returns address label.
- Post the package at your local Post Office counter. Please ask for proof of postage, just in case it gets lost on the way.
- When we get the package back, we’ll send you a letter to let you know it arrived safely. We’ll also refund your payment by the same way you paid (ie we’ll send you a cheque if you paid by cheque or refund your card payment if you paid by card).
We can post books outside of the UK but a few extra terms apply
- Instead of the £2.99 postage and packing charge, the amount of postage you pay will be worked out based on the weight of the order and your location. If you place your order online this will be calculated for you during checkout. Or if you prefer to place your order over the phone we will be able to tell you the postage cost once we have taken your order.
- If you place an order to be shipped overseas your order may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are calculated once the order reaches your country. Any additional charges for customs clearance must be paid by yourself/the recipient. The levels and thresholds of charges vary from country to country - we're not able to confirm what these will be in advance. Sorry.
- If you are ordering for a friend or as a gift to be sent overseas, please consider that the recipient may have to pay these extra charges. If the order is a gift we'd advise ordering the books to your UK address and then post them onto your friend as a "Gift".
- Please make sure you give us your telephone number and email address when you place your order. These details help to avoid any delays to your package going through Customs. The details you provide give Customs more info on where the package is going and if Customs need to contact you about your package they can do more easily.
If you have any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call on 01229 777606 and we'll do our best to help.
What to do if an order doesn't arrive
Depending on the time of year it could be delayed due to the volume of post the Royal Mail have to deal with. Please allow a full 7 working days for UK orders to arrive before contacting us. Please call us on 01229 777606 and we'll do our very best to help.
Important information about your payment or return if you are Self-Isolating
We understand if you can't post your payment or return to us if you are self isolating - please read more here