Ordering and Delivery
Your Questions Answered
I want to order online
Simply choose the product you'd like to add to your basket (or 'Cart' as PayPal calls it) from our product pages on the left hand menu. On the product details page click 'Add to Cart'. You can repeat this with as many products as you want. Then to complete your order and pay securely via PayPal, just click on 'View Cart' which can be found at the top right of the page and follow the instructions to pay for your order.
You can see what's in your shopping basket at any point by clicking on 'View Cart' in the top right of any page.
Sadly we don't offer the 14 day free trial for orders placed on our website. Instead we ask you to pay before we post the books by either credit or debit card, via PayPal. If you'd like to order your books on the 14 day free trial period, please call us on 01229 777606 and place your order with either Jess, Emma, Simone or Michelle (or one of the others if the lines are busy).
I don't want to order online
If you'd rather not order online, you can call 01229 777606 to order over the phone.
Or you can put your order in writing and send it to: The Helpful Book Company, 13B Devonshire Road Estate, Millom, Cumbria, LA18 4JS.
Our full contact details and opening times can be found here.
For internet orders, we take payment via PayPal. PayPal accepts all major credit and debit card cards.
For an order you have already received on our 14 day free trial you can pay here, please make sure you have your invoice handy as you'll need some of the information on it.
If you order in writing, you can also pay by cheque or postal order.
If you order before 3 o'clock on a weekday, we'll aim to get your order out that day. We use second class Royal Mail delivery, so you can expect to get your books round-about 3 or 4 working days after you place your order (barring postal strikes).
If you place your order after 3pm on a Friday your order will be posted the following Monday (unless it's a bank holiday - in which case it will leave us on the Tuesday)
We don't offer recorded delivery as standard but it is available. If you'd prefer your order to be signed for upon delivery please give us a call on 01229 777606 and we'll be more than happy to help.
There is a £2.99 postage and packing charge per order (not per product). Some of our products are smaller in size which means less postage, when this is the case we pass this saving onto you! The product detail page will explains when this is the case.
We offer a 14 day trial period, starting from the day you receive the books. If you aren't happy with the books/videos in that time and want to return them, here's how:
- Check your order is within the 14 day trial period and is in the same condition as it arrived (no scribbles, stickers, tea stains, drawings of King Kong climbing the Empire State Building on the front cover etc...) We may not accept returns outside of the 14 day trial or ones that have been damaged whilst in your hands.
- Re-pack the books or videos in the original packaging or in a secure package. Make sure you’ve included all the relevant bits – if for example you ordered several books.
- Make sure you include your name and address in the package so we know who it's from. The simplest way is to include the payment slip on the other side of this sheet of paper.
- It’s also helpful if you could jot down a note saying why you are returning them. It's not so we can quibble – it can be helpful to us to know what you're not happy with about them in case it helps us improve in the future!
- Cover over your address label on the package with our address: The Helpful Book Company, 13B Devonshire Road Estate, Millom, Cumbria, LA18 4JS
- Post the package at your local Post Office counter. 2nd class postage is fine to use, but best ask for proof of postage, just in case it gets lost on the way.
- If you like, you can let us know by email (to [email protected]) that you’ve returned your order, but you don’t have to.
- When we get the package back, we’ll send you a letter to let you know it arrived safely. If you’ve already paid, we’ll also refund your payment by the same way you paid (ie we’ll send you a cheque if you paid by cheque or refund your card payment if you paid by card). If you haven’t paid yet, we’ll make a note so we know you don’t owe us anything.
Thanks for having given the books/videos a try – it’s a shame they weren’t quite what you were after this time but we hope it hasn’t put you off us in case any of our other books look interesting to you!
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us.
We can post books outside of the UK but a few extra terms apply:
- Sadly we don't offer the 14 day free trial for orders outside of the UK. So we ask you to pay before we ship the books by either credit or debit card, or by a cheque in pounds sterling made out to "The Helpful Book Company Limited".
- Instead of the £2.99 postage and packing charge, you pay us what it costs us to ship it to you. We're happy to post by land or by airmail - it's up to you and either way you pay for the postage at cost to us. We'd recommend giving us a call to place your order, that way we can work out the weight of the package and give you a more accurate postage quote.
If you are outside of the EU it's possible there will be import duty to pay - if there is then you will have to pay this on delivery, in addition to paying us. At the time of writing (April 2016) most
countries (including Australia, New Zealand & The USA) do not charge this import duty.
If you like you can contact us in advance and we can check for you.